Friday, April 15, 2016

Special Prom!

No comments :
   







I am all about inclusion in school.  My kids with special needs deserve everything every other kid deserves.  I don't feel like our schools, especially in the older grades do a very good job of including our special needs kids.  Maybe it isn't the school at all but the reality that the gap between their abilities and that of their typical peers is getting bigger and that is a hard fact to swallow when we have worked so hard to prove that they are more alike than different.  I'm still not sure, but last weekend we attended Prom!  Not your typical Prom, but a Special Needs Prom put on especially for our kids!  Most of the volunteers attended as "dates" for their "special" partners and made sure they had the time of their lives.  And most of these volunteers were high school students or young adults themselves who were honored to be there.

     So while inclusion is still a priority in my book; I also believe there is a place for our special kids to have their own activities as well.  Events where they don't have to work so hard to fit in and where they can just be themselves and nobody is going to laugh at how they do something.  In a perfect world we wouldn't have to worry about them being laughed at for anything but the world we live in is anything but perfect unfortunately.

     So for now I am still glowing with the after thoughts of Prom and enjoying the memories of my kiddos all dressed up and feeling so special!

No comments :

Post a Comment